New Student Volunteers
Duke University Hospital
This program allows students to volunteer at Duke University Hospital with the goal of providing outstanding service to patients and their families. Please review the following guidelines carefully for all potential opportunities before downloading application forms.
Most student volunteers are interviewed and accepted to volunteer programs during our fall interview process
STEP 1: Required Documentation
Before you return to campus in August, complete all required documents in the Application Packet and bring them with you to your interview.
STEP 2: Volunteer Opportunities and Interview Sign-Ups
- To view the current College Volunteer Opportunities, click here.
- Volunteers may choose ONE program of interest and sign up for ONE interview slot.
- Interview slots are limited for each program and fill up quickly.
- Additional dates will not be added.
- Note your interview time on your calendar.
STEP 3: Interview and Selection Process
- Interviews will be held on Wednesday, August 29th and Thursday, August 30 at the Searle Center, Seeley Mudd Building, Level 0, Lecture Hall 020.
- Directions to the Seeley Mudd Building:
- Click here to view an interactive map of Duke Campus.
- If you are driving:
- Follow the directions for the Duke Medical Pavilion at 10 Duke Medicine Circle.
- Park in the Duke Clinic parking garage located at 200 Trent Drive. It will be on your left. Be sure to bring your parking ticket with you to pay at the machines at the entrance of the deck.
- Allow plenty of extra time to find a place to park and walk to the building.
- Walk directly across from the parking garage and walk between the Duke Cancer Center (on the left) and the Duke Medical Pavilion (on the right). The Seeley Mudd Building is right behind the Duke Medical Pavilion. Take the elevator to floor 0 and follow the hallway to the left.
- Plan to arrive in the room at least 10 minutes prior to the start of your interview.
- What to bring to the interview:
- Completed Applicant Package (see Step 1 above)
- Your class schedule
- Please dress business casual for your interview. Unacceptable interview attire includes tops that are off the shoulder, spaghetti strap tops or sleeveless, short skirts, shorts, leggings, denim “blue jeans”, ragged or un-hemmed clothing, sandals.
- Volunteers will be informed of acceptance into the program by Friday, September 7, 2018.
STEP 4: Getting Started
- A MANDATORY hospital orientation will be held for all student volunteers accepted into the program on Saturday, September 15, 2018 from 9:00 am to noon.
- If you cannot attend this mandatory orientation, you cannot volunteer in the fall. Please do not sign up for an interview in August.
- Please mark your calendar for this date if you plan to volunteer.
- Alternative dates will not be provided for this hospital mandated training.
- Many of the department volunteer coordinators will also be present at orientation to conduct their departmental orientations.
Timeline - New College Student Volunteers
- Before you return to campus in August
- Complete all required documents in the Application Packet and bring them with you to your interview
- On or before Wednesday, August 1, 2018
- College student volunteer opportunities will be posted on website.
- New college student volunteer candidates may begin signing up for an interview until slots are full.
- Wednesday, August 29, 2018 and Thursday, August 30, 2018
- Interviews will be held
- Friday, September 7, 2018
- Volunteers will be informed of acceptance into the Duke University Hospital College Volunteer program.
- Saturday, September 15, 2018
- Mandatory Orientation
- Week of September 17, 2018
- Volunteer assignments begin
Interview Sign-Up Links (sign up for one interview only)
Arts & Health at Duke – Performing Arts
Arts & Health at Duke - Request for Arts
International Patient Services
Lenox Baker Children’s Hospital
Ronald McDonald Family Room