New Student Volunteers
Duke University Hospital
This program allows students to volunteer at Duke University Hospital with the goal of providing outstanding service to patients and their families. Please review the following guidelines carefully for all potential opportunities before downloading application forms.
Most student volunteers are interviewed and accepted to volunteer programs during our fall interview process
STEP 1: Required Documentation
Before you return to campus in August, complete all required documents in the Application Packet and bring them with you to your interview.
STEP 2: Volunteer Opportunities and Interview Sign-Ups
- All college volunteer opportunities and interview sign-ups will be posted on this website on or around August 1, 2018.
- Volunteers may choose ONE program of interest and sign up for ONE interview slot.
- Interview slots are limited for each program and fill up quickly.
- Additional dates will not be added.
- Note your interview time on your calendar.
STEP 3: Interview and Selection Process
- Interviews will be held on Wednesday, August 29th and Thursday, August 30.
- What to bring to the interview:
- Completed Applicant Package (see Step 1 above)
- Your class schedule
- Please dress business casual for your interview. Unacceptable interview attire includes tops that are off the shoulder, spaghetti strap tops or sleeveless, short skirts, shorts, leggings, denim “blue jeans”, ragged or un-hemmed clothing, sandals.
- Volunteers will be informed of acceptance into the program by Friday, September 7, 2018.
STEP 4: Getting Started
- A MANDATORY hospital orientation will be held for all student volunteers accepted into the program on Saturday, September 15, 2018 from 9:00 am to noon.
- If you cannot attend this mandatory orientation, you cannot volunteer in the fall. Please do not sign up for an interview in August.
- Please mark your calendar for this date if you plan to volunteer.
- Alternative dates will not be provided for this hospital mandated training.
- Many of the department volunteer coordinators will also be present at orientation to conduct their departmental orientations.
Timeline - New College Student Volunteers
- Before you return to campus in August
- Complete all required documents in the Application Packet and bring them with you to your interview
- On or before Wednesday, August 1, 2018
- College student volunteer opportunities will be posted on website.
- New college student volunteer candidates may begin signing up for an interview until slots are full.
- Wednesday, August 29, 2018 and Thursday, August 30, 2018
- Interviews will be held
- Friday, September 7, 2018
- Volunteers will be informed of acceptance into the Duke University Hospital College Volunteer program.
- Saturday, September 15, 2018
- Mandatory Orientation
- Week of September 17, 2018
- Volunteer assignments begin