New Student Volunteers
This volunteer program allows students to volunteer at Duke University Hospital with the goal of providing outstanding service to patients and their families.
- Please complete all required documentation (noted in the application) BEFORE you return to campus in August—including health screens.
- Volunteer commitment is for one continuous year, two academic semesters (or 100 hours during the summer, as approved by a volunteer coordinator)
- Weekly volunteer attendance is a minimum of two hours per week. Some programs may require 4 hours per week. These are noted in position descriptions which will be posted by August 1.
- All volunteer hours must be documented in Volgistics, the Volunteer Services software, in order to be counted toward volunteer commitment and letters of recommendation.
- Weekly volunteer attendance is expected for all programs. Once assigned, these programs will be counting on your assistance. Your pre-health academic advisors may request attendance information at any time.
- Please sign up for only ONE interview slot. Please bring your class schedule to the interview.
- Duke academic advisors have asked to be notified of names of volunteers who fail to show up for interview times which will be held in August. Advisors will also be advised of those who cannot meet their volunteer commitments, without cause or prior approval, once they are accepted and scheduled.
NOTE: If you are unable to schedule an interview for a particular program during our scheduled interview day, please contact Tomeka Robinson in the Volunteer Services office at email@example.com.
- Complete all application materials, including health screens before arriving on campus in August. Student health will not be accepting appointments for volunteer health screens before October, so this must be completed by family physician, urgent care etc. in order to meet volunteer requirements in time for fall volunteer schedules.
- View the available position descriptions.
- Schedule an interviews (August 31 and September 1) for the opportunities you are interested in:
- Ambulatory Surgery Center
- Arts & Health at Duke: Request the Arts
- Arts & Health at Duke: Performing Arts
- Child and Adolescent Life Program (Child Life)
- Duke Cancer Patient Support Program (DCPSP) Docent Volunteer
- Duke Cancer Patient Support Program (DCPSP) Outpatient/Clinic Volunteer
- Duke Cancer Patient Education Program - Resource Center Volunteer
- Duke Eye Center
- Duke Patient Concierge Program - Duke Ambassadors
- Emergency Department
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU) Waiting Area
- International Patient Services
- Lenox Baker Children’s Hospital
- Surgical Waiting Rooms
- MANDATORY orientation for all new volunteers and some returning volunteers will be held on Saturday, September 10.
- All completed application forms must be presented to your interviewer at your requested interview time (sign up is August 1).