Duke Specialty Pharmacy prescription process
- Referral. Once we receive a referral, either from your provider care team or by receiving a prescription, we will confirm all your personal and insurance information After this benefits investigation, we will determine if you are eligible to use our pharmacy services.
- Eligibility. Once your eligibility is confirmed, your prescription may be sent electronically to our pharmacy by your provider; or your provider may fax, call, or give you a paper prescription to bring to us.
- How long will it take? When your prescription is received, it will be processed usually the same business day. Prior to filling your prescription, we may need to obtain prior authorization from your insurance company or co-pay assistance from the drug manufacturer. Prior authorizations and co-pay assistance may cause a delay in receiving your medication. Once insurance approval is obtained, and/or patient assistance documentation is completed and approved, we will inform you of the total out-of-pocket cost and have your prescription ready onsite within 1 business day. By request, we can ship your prescription to you within 2 business days after confirming shipping address and payment information. Please contact us for shipping requirements.
- Payment options. If your insurance does not approve your medication or the co-pay amount does not meet your budget, we will work with you and your provider to select an alternative treatment that best meets your needs. If our pharmacy is not contracted with your insurance company, we will notify you of the out-of-pocket cost before filling the medication. If that cost does not meet your budget, we will transfer the prescription to an in-network pharmacy that can fill your medication. We will also notify your provider of the transfer.
- Refills. As a patient filling a specialty medication, our pharmacy team offers refill reminder calls to set up your next fill. If you have not heard from us and you only have 7 days or less of medication left, please contact us. Please remember that allowing a week to process and ship your medication refill will prevent a disruption in your treatment due to bad weather, holiday closings, insurance changes, prescription renewals from your provider, natural disasters, or other unforeseen circumstances.
Please note, we do not automatically ship any medications. We must speak with you to verify address and payment information each time before we will ship your medication to you.