Davis Ambulatory Surgical Center
Every year, more 6,000 surgeries are performed by Duke and independent doctors at the James E. Davis Ambulatory Surgical Center, a multi-specialty outpatient surgery center. Our center provides high quality and convenient outpatient surgery for patients in Durham and surrounding communities.
|5:30 am - 4:30 pm||5:30 am - 4:30 pm||5:30 am - 4:30 pm||5:30 am - 4:30 pm||5:30 am - 4:30 pm||Closed||Closed|
5:30 am - 4:30 pm
Davis Ambulatory Surgical Center is a multi-specialty surgery center affiliated with Duke Regional Hospital. Our perioperative teams, including surgeons, medical technicians, registered nurses, and staff members, have expertise in same-day surgery and advanced surgical procedures.
Same-day surgical procedures
- Ophthalmology – includes bladeless cataract surgery
- Pain management – both injection and pain pump implantation
- Otolaryngology – pediatric tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy, and more extensive sinus surgery
- Endoscopy – screening/diagnostic colonoscopy, esophagastroduodenoscopy and pH Bravo placement
- Gynecology – hysteroscopy, laparoscopies, tubal reanastomosis
- Plastic surgery - simple plastic procedures and breast reconstruction
- General surgery – gallbladder and breast cancer surgery
- Urology – vasovasotomy and extracorporeal shock wave treatment for kidney stones
- Podiatry –simple to complex bunionectomy
- Vascular – vein ablation and dialysis access ports
- Orthopedic – open reduction internal fixation and rotator cuff repairs
- Femtosecond Lasers for cataract surgery and ORA – optiwave refractive analysis provides real time intraoperative measurements for refractive cataract surgery
- Laparoscopic video equipment
- Otolaryngology navigation system for sinus surgery
- pH Bravo equipment for gastric reflux studies
- Lasers for vascular, pain management, and gynecology procedures
Duke Health contracts with most major health insurance carriers and transplant networks, including the ones listed below. Before scheduling your appointment, we strongly recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the Duke Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any co-payments, co–insurances, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with Duke, your out of pocket liability may be higher. We will contact you regarding your coverage and patient liability. If you are uninsured, learn more about our financial assistance policy.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare HMO Open Access
- Aetna Medicare Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Premier Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Prime Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Local with Duke Health and WakeMed
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)*
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
- *Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
- Coventry Advantra Freedom (PPO)
- Coventry Advantra Gold (HMO)
- Dual Option of AWH or PPO
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Prime (HMO)
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Select (HMO)
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus (HMO)
- First Medicare Direct*
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
- *This is for Wake County only.
- NC Medicaid*
- * Not all Duke locations and doctors participate in this plan. Please contact the location you will be visiting to determine what is accepted.
- Optima Family Care (Medicaid HMO in VA)
- Optima Individual & Family (On & Off Exchange Plans)
- Optima Plus (PPO)
- Optima Vantage (HMO)
- TRICARE Extra*
- TRICARE for Life*
- TRICARE Prime*
- TRICARE Prime Remote*
- TRICARE Standard*
- *Duke Primary Care does not participate with the plan.
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)*
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)*
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- State Employee Health Plan (for retirees)
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare of the River Valley
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Options PPO with Harvard Pilgrim
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
- * Not all Duke hospitals and doctors participate in these plans. Please contact your insurance provider to determine what your financial responsibility will be for the health care service you require.
Davis Ambulatory Surgical Center is conveniently located on East Carver Street in Durham, across the street from Duke Regional Hospital.
Our facility features eight operating rooms, along with a five-bed recovery care center for patients who may require an overnight stay.
There is a spacious waiting area with vending for family members and friends.
Our facility is accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, Inc. (AAAHC), Medicare/Medicaid certified, and licensed by the State of North Carolina as freestanding surgery center.
Preparing For Your Visit
If you have not received a call by the day before your surgery or have additional questions, please call us at 919-470-1023 between the hours of 8:00 am to 2:00 pm and ask to speak with a preoperative nurse.
If you need to speak with a business office representative, please call 919-470-1000 between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:30 pm.
Please notify the center and your surgeon, if you:
- Have an elevated temperature, cough, cold, vomiting or diarrhea between your last visit and the day of your surgery
- Suspect you may be pregnant
- Are on medications such as diet pills, aspirin, ibuprofen, any blood thinning agents or certain herbal medicines. You may need to stop taking these one to two weeks before your surgery
- Have a drug-eluting stent, pacemaker or on dialysis
Escort: A friend, relative or dedicated caregiver must stay with you at the surgery center the entire time of your visit and for the first 24 hours after your surgery.
Care for Children: If you normally care for young children at home, please plan for assistance for their care at least 24 hours following surgery.
Interpreter: If the patient cannot read, speak English or use sign language, an interpreter is required. This individual must be over the age of 18 and speak English. If you need assistance arranging for an interpreter, please contact our Business Department office at 919-470-1014 soon as possible.
Free parking is located at the front of the surgical center.