Duke Eye Center of North Durham
Duke Eye Center offers comprehensive eye care services in the North Durham area. Our goal is to provide excellent care, personalized to your needs.
|8:00 am - 5:00 pm||8:00 am - 5:00 pm||8:00 am - 5:00 pm||8:00 am - 5:00 pm||8:00 am - 5:00 pm||Closed||Closed|
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Duke Eye Center's expert ophthalmologists diagnose, manage and treat the following conditions:
Services of Duke University Hospital Outpatient Departments
- Cataract surgery
- Laser vision consultations and surgery (LASIK and PRK)
- Vision rehabilitation and performance
- Retinal diseases such as macular degeneration, detached retina, diabetic retinopathy and uveitis
- Visual fields and imaging
- Pediatric ophthalmology
- Pediatric retinal disease
- General eye exams
- Eye cancer evaluation and treatment
- Corneal diseases
- Acute eye problems, such as infections, and early management of chronic eye diseases
- Diabetic eye screenings
- Oculoplastic, reconstructive, and cosmetic eye surgery
Duke Health contracts with most major health insurance carriers and transplant networks, including the ones listed below. Before scheduling your appointment, we strongly recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the Duke Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any co-payments, co–insurances, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with Duke, your out of pocket liability may be higher. We will contact you regarding your coverage and patient liability. If you are uninsured, learn more about our financial assistance policy.
Below are the plans currently accepted in 2018. There are some changes to the plans accepted beginning January 1, 2019. For a complete list of plans accepted in 2019 and to verify that your health plan includes Duke Health, please visit PlanForDuke.com.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare HMO Open Access
- Aetna Medicare Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Premier Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Prime Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Local with Duke Health and WakeMed*
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)**
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
*BCBSNC will no longer offer Blue Local with Duke Health & WakeMed in 2019. Action may be needed on your part. Visit planforduke.com to learn more.
**Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
- Coventry Advantra Freedom (PPO)*
- Coventry Advantra Gold (HMO)*
- Dual Option of AWH or PPO*
*Coventry Healthcare will no longer be accepted in 2019.
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Prime (HMO)
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Select (HMO)
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus (HMO)
- First Medicare Direct*
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
*This is for Wake County only.
- NC Medicaid*
*Not all Duke locations and doctors participate in this plan. Please contact the location you will be visiting to determine what is accepted.
- Optima Family Care (Medicaid HMO in VA)
- Optima Individual & Family (On & Off Exchange Plans)
- Optima Plus (PPO)
- Optima Vantage (HMO)
- TRICARE Extra*
- TRICARE for Life*
- TRICARE Prime*
- TRICARE Prime Remote*
- TRICARE Standard*
*Duke Primary Care does not participate with the plan.
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)*
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)*
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- State Employee Health Plan (for retirees)
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare of the River Valley
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Options PPO with Harvard Pilgrim
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
*Not all Duke hospitals and doctors participate in these plans. Please contact your insurance provider to determine what your financial responsibility will be for the health care service you require.
Please check your filter options and try again.
We are located in the Duke Medical Plaza North Duke Street in North Durham.
Preparing For Your Visit
Thank you for choosing Duke Eye Center, for your care. Our goal is to provide excellent care, personalized to your needs. During your visit, a team of specialists will care for you.
If you are coming in for routine eye care, expect your visit to last 1-2 hours. If you are scheduled with a specialist in glaucoma or for a cataract evaluation, your visit may take several hours. Your visit may include time to dilate your eyes, which can take up to 45 minutes, perform tests, and complete a comprehensive exam; combined in one visit for your convenience. We thank you for your confidence and trust in your eye care specialists team at Duke.
3116 North Duke Street
Durham, NC 27704
Free, convenient parking.