Eyelid surgery and facial surgery
Cosmetic surgeries to enhance your facial features
Sometimes looking and feeling your best requires a little help. Duke’s experts in facial plastic and oculoplastic surgery perform cosmetic surgeries that enhance your eyes, face, forehead, cheekbones, nose, and chin. Eyelid surgeries and facial surgeries remove flaws and reduce the impact of aging. They can also improve your appearance and function following injury, disease, or deformity. Our personal approach helps you achieve the look you desire.
Cosmetic procedures for your facial features
Our surgeons perform the full range of cosmetic surgeries including:
- Upper eyelid surgery and lower eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty)
- Facelift and neck lift (rhytidectomy)
- Brow lift
- Nose surgery (rhinoplasty)
- Facial implants
- Ear surgery (otoplasty)
We also offer non-surgical options and skin care therapies to improve and rejuvenate your appearance including laser skin resurfacing, hair removal, microdermabrasion, photo facials, chemical peels, wrinkle-relaxing injections (Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin), and facial fillers. General skin care applications are also available to improve and rejuvenate skin damaged by age, excessive sun exposure, discoloration, and skin-related disorders.
How to choose a cosmetic surgeon
Duke’s board-certified oculoplastic surgeons and facial plastic surgeons undergo advanced training to become specialists in their subspecialties and have years of experience from routinely performing cosmetic procedures. Each of our surgeons come from unique backgrounds.
- Facial plastic surgeons are otolaryngologists who subspecialize in facial plastic surgery that includes cosmetic and reconstructive surgery on the face and neck.
- Oculoplastic surgeons are ophthalmologists who subspecialize in cosmetic and reconstructive surgery on the face, eyes, tear system, and the facial structure surrounding the eye.
Why you should choose Duke
- We personalize your treatment recommendation. After an extensive consultation and careful evaluation, we recommend which procedure or the combination of procedures that will give you the results you want.
- We use minimally invasive techniques. Whenever possible, we use small incisions to perform most cosmetic procedures. The minimally invasive approach results in less bleeding and infection and helps you recover faster than traditional surgical methods.
- You receive the best care. Your medical team may include plastic surgeons, oculoplastic surgeons, ear nose and throat specialists, ophthalmologists, aestheticians, nurses and other staff who work together to ensure you get the best possible care.
- Duke is a level 1 trauma center. Our doctors improve patients’ appearance and function following injury, disease, or deformity.
- A wide array of nonsurgical options is available. Our aestheticians, doctors, and surgeons may recommend skin care therapies and techniques to improve and rejuvenate your appearance.
FACIAL COSMETIC SURGERY
Blepharoplasty rejuvenates the upper and lower eyelid by removing and sculpting excess skin and smoothing wrinkles. During upper blepharoplasty, excess skin, fat and muscle are sculpted through small incisions made in the skin of the eyelid. Lower blepharoplasty removes skin and fat to improve the shape of the lower eyelid. Adding or transposing fat can be accomplished with a “no stitch” method. Laser skin resurfacing can be performed at the same time to the lower eyelids to enhance your results. A blepharoplasty can be accomplished with a blade, a cautery, or a laser. You may be released to drive in two to three days and wear makeup in 10 to 14 days.
Rhytidectomy tightens the jowls and neck. Loose facial skin, fatty tissue, and muscle are lifted and tightened through an incision that starts at the hairline and extends behind the ear. Your surgeon may perform this under local anesthesia, IV sedation, or general anesthesia. It is typically an outpatient procedure. You may resume normal activities within three to five days.
Repositions the soft tissues in the forehead, tightens sagging skin, and removes deep worry lines. A direct brow lift removes skin and muscle above the eyebrows. A mid-forehead lift removes excess skin, fat and sometimes muscles through incisions in the lines of the forehead. A coronal forehead lift requires an ear-to-ear incision above the forehead to remove excess skin and elevate the entire forehead and brow. Recovery from the outpatient procedure may take up to 10 days.
Excess fat deposits are removed from the face or neck through high-powered suction via a hollow tube that is placed under the skin through a small incision. The outpatient procedure may require general anesthesia. Bruising and numbness reside over several months. An alternate is to inject Kybella in three to four sessions to permanently dissolve unwanted fat.
During rhinoplasty, your surgeon sculpts the shape of your new nose by removing and reshaping bone and cartilage, and possibly adding tissue, through incisions made inside the nose. A splint is applied to help the nose retain its new shape while it heals. Generally, the outpatient procedure is performed under general anesthesia. Swelling and bruising will improve in 10 to 14 days.
Otoplasty or "ear pinning" corrects protruding ears or changes the shape or size of overly large ears. Ear cartilage is reshaped through small incisions typically made on the back of the ear. The outpatient procedure requires local anesthesia with IV sedation. You should feel better within two weeks.
Enhances small chins, weak jaws or aids in facial contouring. Using strategically placed incisions, your surgeon implants solid, biocompatible material in your cheekbones, jaw or chin to add volume, increase projection and enhance the structure of your face. Recovery from the outpatient procedure takes two weeks. Swelling may reside over several months.
Improves and enhances the appearance of your neck. Depending on your needs, your surgeon may recommend liposuction to remove excess fat, surgical tightening of sagging skin, or surgical removal (also known as cervicoplasty or platysmaplasty) to alter or remove neck muscles (platysma) to eliminate the turkey neck that may be caused by weak or loose neck muscles. Liposuction or Botox injections may be recommended to relax a look of “fullness” or bands around your neck.
We perform a variety of procedures to improve appearance and correct minor and major dental irregularities including misalignment of the jaw and teeth.
FACIAL COSMETIC SURGERY
We discuss your reasons for pursuing facial cosmetic surgery, your desired outcome and expected results. We conduct a thorough medical history, including your family history, general health status, previous operations, and any medications you may be taking. We examine your facial features, and take photographs for your medical record. Finally, we recommend a course of treatment that meets your needs. We discuss the potential risks and complications, and your post-operation recovery.
Pre-surgical testing may require several blood tests to test your liver and kidney function, and to determine if you have any infection, blood disorder, or anemia, that may have gone previously undetected.