Children who need surgery for conditions that affect their brain, face, neck, or spine receive unparalleled care from Duke Children’s experienced pediatric neurosurgeons. We use the latest technology and approaches, including minimally invasive techniques, to treat pediatric brain and spinal tumors, cysts, and trauma, as well as epilepsy, spasticity, and abnormalities such as Chiari malformations. We are committed to ensuring your child has the best possible outcome.
Expert Pediatric Neurosurgery Care for Your Child
There are many reasons why U.S. News & World Report ranks our pediatric neurosurgery program as one of the best in the country.
- High-Volume Referral Hospital. Pediatric specialists across the Southeast and beyond refer their young patients to our pediatric neurosurgeons because they are confident in our experience treating complex, serious conditions.
- Nationally Recognized Surgical Care. Duke Children’s is one of only seven hospitals in the U.S. verified as a level I children's surgery center by the American College of Surgeons. This Level I designation recognizes our commitment to providing the safest and highest-quality surgical care to our young patients.
- Latest Innovations. Our pediatric neurosurgeons use the latest image-guided and pre-surgical mapping technologies to ensure your child undergoes the safest, most effective surgery. We also use less invasive endoscopic procedures, which require smaller incisions and result in less scarring. These advances minimize your child’s pain and help them recover faster.
- Ongoing Research. As a Duke patient, your child benefits from ongoing research conducted throughout Duke. For example, if your child is diagnosed with a brain tumor, he or she may be eligible to participate in our ongoing pediatric clinical trials or may benefit from the innovations being advanced through our nationally recognized experts. Likewise, we partner with other leading children’s hospitals and share research to offer you and your child access to the latest technologies and clinical trials.
Your Child's Neurosurgical Needs Are Our Top Priority
- We are part of your child’s team. We work closely with the pediatric specialists treating your child. This means a pediatric neurosurgeon is already familiar with your child’s case when a surgery is recommended.
- You can reach us 24/7. Our pediatric neurosurgeons are accessible day and night when urgent needs arise.
- We offer convenient, accessible care. We understand the strain clinic visits can put on your family. That’s why we regularly attend specialty clinics so all your child’s specialists are hearing the same details at the same time. We may even travel to your primary point of care -- Raleigh for example -- to consult with your care team.
We provide a wealth of family-friendly services to support you and your entire family before, during, and after surgery. We are here to answer your questions and make your time at Duke Children’s Hospital as easy and comfortable as possible.
- While your child is in the hospital, you can relax in the Ronald McDonald House Family Room. You can grab a light meal, shower, do laundry, or use a computer with internet access.
- Our child life specialists provide support, education, and guidance to help you and your child during treatment and hospitalization. They make your child's health care experience positive -- whether it's explaining a procedure, offering encouragement, or using fun activities to take your child’s mind off treatment.
- We help you navigate our system. Our care coordinators and social workers help you coordinate the health services your child needs. That includes scheduling appointments, working with insurance providers, connecting you with resources, and managing details related to your child’s care.