The Birth Place at Duke Regional Hospital
Our obstetricians and staff provide a personalized birth experience in a safe, comfortable environment. We deliver more than 2,000 babies each year, and work closely with you to make sure you have the birth experience you choose.
Please tour our labor and delivery unit, and see why Blue Cross Blue Shield has named us a Blue Distinction Center+ for Maternity Care. This distinction recognizes the high quality of our maternity care.
Labor and Delivery in Durham, NC
Preparing for Childbirth Classes
As part of your prenatal care, we offer classes to help you prepare for labor and delivery and C-sections and gain a better understanding of epidurals. We also prepare you for life as a new mom, with classes that focus on breastfeeding, baby care, infant/child CPR, tips for getting back in shape, and more.
High-Tech and Low-Tech Options
As a community hospital, we offer both high-tech and low-tech care options. Because we work primarily with women who expect to have routine deliveries, we offer you the opportunity to have a birthing experience with fewer interventions and procedures and more amenities. We help you be as comfortable as possible during your labor. We do everything we can to ensure you have your baby in a comfortable, safe, and supportive environment.
Comfortable Delivery Labor and Delivery Suites
Our comfortable delivery suites are designed to make you feel as much like you are at home as is possible in a hospital setting. Four of our eight birthing suites have whirlpool baths, for hydrotherapy and relaxation and to help you manage your labor pain.
More Freedom of Movement During Labor
Our lightweight, cordless fetal monitors give you more freedom of movement and flexibility to find a comfortable position during your labor.
Pain Management Options
In addition to your obstetrician, our anesthesiologists are always in the hospital and available. We offer IV medicine and epidural, as well as other options such as birthing and peanut balls, birthing stools, and pushing bars to help you be as comfortable as possible during your labor.
Midwives Can Assist in Delivery
You can choose to work with a certified nurse midwife for pregnancy care; assistance with your in normal labor and birth; and support for you, your baby, and your family during your postpartum recovery.
Dedicated Operating Rooms for C-Sections
We have two dedicated ORs for deliveries by Cesarean section. We may be able to make small changes to the procedure to allow you and your partner to be part of the process through what some call a “gentle C-section.”
Your Postpartum Recovery
Once your baby arrives, we help you start that bonding process right away by having you room-in with your baby. All healthy babies stay with their healthy moms in one of our 36 private postpartum recovery rooms as part of our family-centered care. And, one nurse helps you ease your transition from hospital to home.
Our lactation consultants give you the support you need to begin breastfeeding within one hour of your newborn's birth and continue after you leave the hospital.
Immediate Access to Specialized Care
If your baby is delivered at less than 32 weeks gestation or requires surgery or a higher level of care, he or she will immediately be transported to the Level IV nursery at Duke University Hospital. There, board-certified neonatologists will ensure your baby gets the best possible care as quickly as possible.
Strict Infant Security System
We enforce strict infant security measures to protect your baby from unlikely harmful events, including abduction.
Our clinical social workers specialize in postpartum depression. They are available to help you and your family locate community resources and adapt to the many changes that accompany the arrival of a newborn.
Duke Health contracts with most major health insurance carriers and transplant networks, including the ones listed below. Before scheduling your appointment, we strongly recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the Duke Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any copayments, co–insurance, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with Duke, your out of pocket liability may be higher. We will contact you regarding your coverage and patient liability. If you are uninsured, learn more about our financial assistance policy.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare HMO Open Access
- Aetna Medicare Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Premier Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Prime Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Ambetter of North Carolina
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)*
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Behavioral Health (*Limited eligibility)
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
*Please call Cigna Behavioral Heath to see if the provider is participating in your plan.
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Experience Health Medicare Advantage (HMO) Plan
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Prime (HMO)
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Select (HMO)
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus (HMO)
- First Medicare Direct*
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
*This is for Wake County only.
- NC Medicaid*
*Not all Duke locations and doctors participate in this plan. Please contact the location you will be visiting to determine what is accepted.
- Optima Family Care (Medicaid HMO in VA)
- Optima Individual & Family (On & Off Exchange Plans)
- Optima Plus (PPO)
- Optima Vantage (HMO)
- TRICARE Prime*
- TRICARE Prime Remote*
- TRICARE Select*
*Duke Primary Care is considered an authorized, non-network participating provider.
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- State Employee Health Plan (for retirees)
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare of the River Valley
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Options PPO with Harvard Pilgrim
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
Please check your filter options and try again.