I’m an epilepsy surgeon and specialize in waking up patients during the middle of the surgery, so we can check their language area and remove the epileptic area. We also have a new, cutting-edge procedure that’s just come out involving laser ablation. It’s basically outpatient brain surgery. You make a tiny hole in the back of the skull to remove the hippocampus – something that used to take six hours of surgery that now takes about 45 minutes, and you go home the next day. My other specialty is cervical and lumbar spine disease, mainly cervical. I’ve done over 4,700 cervical procedures since I’ve been at Duke – about 300 a year. Before surgery, I think it’s important to sit down with patients and discuss the images of their condition. We take time to show them their films and go over everything with them, then make sure we’ve outlined what their surgery is going to involve. One of the things Duke has that’s very important is the Duke Spine Center, a team that comes together to provide a complete range of outstanding spine care, including conservative care, surgical approaches and follow up.
The Patient Rating score is an average of all responses to care provider related questions on our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Learn more about our survey process. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Visit planforduke.com to view the full list of plans Duke Health will accept in 2020 from each carrier or network.
Duke Health contracts with most major health insurance carriers and transplant networks, including the ones listed below.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare HMO Open Access
- Aetna Medicare Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Premier Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Prime Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Ambetter of North Carolina
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)*
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Behavioral Health (*Limited eligibility)
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
*Please call Cigna Behavioral Heath to see if the provider is participating in your plan.
- Duke Group Plans
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Experience Health
- First Health
- Gateway Health Alliance
- Gateway Health Plan
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Prime (HMO)
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Select (HMO)
- Halifax Physician-Hospital Organization
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus (HMO)
- First Medicare Direct*
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
*This is for Wake County only.
- MultiPlan / Private Healthcare Systems
- NC Medicaid
- NC Medicaid*
*Not all Duke locations and doctors participate in this plan. Please contact the location you will be visiting to determine what is accepted.
- OneNet PPO
- Optima Health
- Optima Family Care (Medicaid HMO in VA)
- Optima Individual & Family (On & Off Exchange Plans)
- Optima Plus (PPO)
- Optima Vantage (HMO)
- TRICARE Prime*
- TRICARE Prime Remote*
- TRICARE Select*
*Duke Primary Care is considered an authorized, non-network participating provider.
- United Healthcare
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- State Employee Health Plan (for retirees)
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare of the River Valley
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Options PPO with Harvard Pilgrim
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
Before scheduling your appointment, we strongly recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the Duke Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any copayments, co–insurance, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with Duke, your out of pocket liability may be higher. We will contact you regarding your coverage and patient liability. If you are uninsured, learn more about our financial assistance policy.
- NuVasive, Inc.