David A. Rizzieri, MD
Cell Therapy and Hematologic Malignancies Specialist
My practice focuses on the care of patients with leukemia or lymphoma. I enjoy working with patients and their families providing for the full continuum of their care needs. From initial evaluation, through planning multidisciplinary treatments, offering investigational study options, and marrow/stem cell, cord blood, or haploidentical transplantation, my practice is able to provide a thorough management plan for all such treatment needs. I am confident that the multidisciplinary team of physicians, nurses, advanced practice providers, pharmacists, radiation, and medical oncologists that we provide assure the best outcomes possible for our patients.
Ratings and Reviews
The Patient Rating score is an average of all responses to care provider related questions on our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Learn more about our survey process. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Training and Education
Clinical Focus and Research
I focus on developing new therapies for patients with leukemia or lymphoma. I am a member of the Combined International Bone Marrow Transplant Registry Lymphoma Writing Committee and the ALLIANCE (formerly CALGB) Leukemia Core Committee and NCI Leukemia Working Groups. I serve as chair or co-chair of multiple ALLIANCE lymphoma/ leukemia trials, the most recent being the last two national studies for Burkitt’s lymphoma, as well as the current leukemia in under 60-year-olds study. I have led our team’s novel approaches for the care of patients using monoclonal antibodies with non-myeloablative allogeneic therapy to optimize a less toxic regimen for transplant of patients with hematologic malignancies using haplo-identical, as well as matched, donors. This work is currently being extended with post-transplant graft manipulation studies focused on manipulating Natural Killer cell activity. I have led the development of anti-stromal therapy in lymphoma using new antibodies targeting the stromal protein, tenascin, for which a patent is pending, and first in-human studies targeting acute myelogenous leukemia by linking diphtheria to an antibody to the IL-3 receptor (now in phase 3).
Duke Health contracts with most major health insurance carriers and transplant networks, including the ones listed below.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare HMO Open Access
- Aetna Medicare Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Premier Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Prime Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Ambetter of North Carolina
Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)*
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Behavioral Health (*Limited eligibility)
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
*Please call Cigna Behavioral Heath to see if the provider is participating in your plan.
Duke Group Plans
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Experience Health Medicare Advantage (HMO) Plan
- First Health
- Gateway Health Alliance
Gateway Health Plan
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Prime (HMO)
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Select (HMO)
- Halifax Physician-Hospital Organization
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus (HMO)
- First Medicare Direct*
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
*This is for Wake County only.
- MultiPlan / Private Healthcare Systems
- NC Medicaid*
*Not all Duke locations and doctors participate in this plan. Please contact the location you will be visiting to determine what is accepted.
- OneNet PPO
- Optima Family Care (Medicaid HMO in VA)*
- Optima Individual & Family (On & Off Exchange Plans)
- Optima Plus (PPO)
- Optima Vantage (HMO)
*Duke Primary Care, Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, and Duke Raleigh Hospital are not participating with this plan.
- TRICARE Prime
- TRICARE Prime Remote
- TRICARE Select
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)*
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)*
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- State Employee Health Plan (for retirees)
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare of the River Valley
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Options PPO with Harvard Pilgrim
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate with the plan.
Before scheduling your appointment, we strongly recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the Duke Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any co-payments, co–insurances, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with Duke, your out of pocket liability may be higher. We will contact you regarding your coverage and patient liability. If you are uninsured, learn more about our financial assistance policy.
- AROG Pharmaceuticals
- AbbVie Pharmaceuticals
- Amgen, Inc.
- Celgene Corporation
- Cephalon, Inc. (Teva Pharmaceuticals)
- Chimerix, Inc.
- Gilead Sciences, Inc.
- Jazz Pharmaceuticals
- Kite pharmaceuticals
- Pfizer Inc.
- Pharmacyclics (AbbVie)
- Seattle Genetics
- acrobiotech- spectrum
- mustang bio