Chad A. Grotegut, MD, MBA, MHS
Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialist
I am a specialist in maternal-fetal medicine, which is a subspecialty of OB/GYN that focuses on the care of women with high-risk pregnancies. I serve as the medical director of the Labor and Delivery Unit at Duke University Hospital. In that role, and together with our outstanding unit team members, we have the opportunity to help women and their families ensure that they have the safest and best labor and delivery experience possible. My specific clinical interests are in placenta accreta spectrum and other obstetric, medical, or surgical conditions that potentially could complicate a woman’s delivery. I chose OB/GYN because I absolutely love delivering babies. I also enjoy having the opportunity to help women who have situations that complicate their pregnancy and delivery. When you think about life events for families, the birth of a child is one of those events that they’ll remember forever. To be able to be part of that is such a unique opportunity.
Ratings and Reviews
The Patient Rating score is an average of all responses to care provider related questions on our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Learn more about our survey process. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Training and Education
Clinical Focus and Research
I conduct basic science and laboratory research and also participate in running clinical studies. My laboratory research interests primarily focus on the hormone oxytocin and understanding the mechanisms of uterine contractility. I transfer the knowledge gained through studies dedicated to understanding normal and abnormal labor to the clinical care of women. In addition to our work in labor, our group is involved in understanding the role that medical conditions and complications have in pregnancy outcomes, particularly those related to abnormal placentation.
Duke Health contracts with most major health insurance carriers and transplant networks, including the ones listed below.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare HMO Open Access
- Aetna Medicare Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Premier Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Prime Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Ambetter of North Carolina
Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)*
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Behavioral Health (*Limited eligibility)
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
*Please call Cigna Behavioral Heath to see if the provider is participating in your plan.
Duke Group Plans
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Experience Health Medicare Advantage (HMO) Plan
- First Health
- Gateway Health Alliance
Gateway Health Plan
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Prime (HMO)
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Select (HMO)
- Halifax Physician-Hospital Organization
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus (HMO)
- First Medicare Direct*
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
*This is for Wake County only.
- MultiPlan / Private Healthcare Systems
- NC Medicaid*
*Not all Duke locations and doctors participate in this plan. Please contact the location you will be visiting to determine what is accepted.
- OneNet PPO
- Optima Family Care (Medicaid HMO in VA)*
- Optima Individual & Family (On & Off Exchange Plans)
- Optima Plus (PPO)
- Optima Vantage (HMO)
*Duke Primary Care, Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, and Duke Raleigh Hospital are not participating with this plan.
- TRICARE Prime*
- TRICARE Prime Remote*
- TRICARE Select*
*Duke Primary Care is considered an authorized, non-network participating provider.
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)*
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)*
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- State Employee Health Plan (for retirees)
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare of the River Valley
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Options PPO with Harvard Pilgrim
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate with the plan.
Before scheduling your appointment, we strongly recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the Duke Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any co-payments, co–insurances, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with Duke, your out of pocket liability may be higher. We will contact you regarding your coverage and patient liability. If you are uninsured, learn more about our financial assistance policy.
- Garbha Health d/b/a Nixxi