EXTEND - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
We want to find out if new technology can help people manage their blood pressure and diabetes. We hope the mobile monitoring devices used in this study can improve people's health.
Poorly Controlled Type 2 Diabetes and High Blood Pressure
Who Can Participate in the Study?
Adults ages 30-75 who:
- Have difficulty managing their blood pressure and Type 2 Diabetes (HbA1c is at least 8.0 or higher)
- Have an iPhone or Android smartphone
- Are a patient at one of the following clinics: Triangle Family Practice, Duke Primary Care Mebane, Duke Endocrinology Clinic 1A, Duke Endocrinology South Durham, and Duke Endocrinology Brier Creek
For more information about who can join this study, please contact the study team at email@example.com.
What is Involved?
If you choose to join this study, you will come to our clinic for a screening visit to find out if you are eligible.
If you are eligible for the study, you will:
- Get 4 devices to use (glucometer, scale, blood pressure cuff, and fitness tracker)
- Download apps to your phone to manage these devices
- Use the devices and apps for 2 years
- Visit our clinic 6 times over 2 years for check-up visits
- Answer questionnaires
You will also have a 50/50 chance of being randomly assigned to a study group called "EXTEND Plus." If we assign you to this group, you will have a phone call with a study nurse every 2 weeks for the first year of the study. This nurse will keep in touch with your doctor about any changes to your health while in the study.
We will pay you for your time on the study.
You can read more about this study or sign up to join the study on its website: https://extend.nursing.duke.edu/