EFFECT-BC intermittent fasting in breast cancer - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
We are doing this study to find out if an intermittent fasting diet program
is feasible for women with breast cancer and if it can improve weight and body composition after treatment.
Who Can Participate in the Study?
Women ages 20-70 who:
- Have breast cancer stage I-III
- Have a body mass index (BMI) >25
- Are able to attend online (Zoom) counseling sessions (have internet access/email)
- Are not pregnant and have no plans to become pregnant during the study period
What is Involved?
If you join the study, you will have the following tests and procedures done before you start the program and again at the end of the program:
- Physical exams and vital signs
- Non-invasive body composition testing using InBody machine
- Resting metabolic rate measurement by breathing into the MedGem device
- Grip strength measurement using a device that you squeeze in your hand
- Blood draws
During the study, you will:
- Intermittently fast for 16-18 hours (skip dinner or breakfast) 4 days per week for 6 months
- Track the fasting days in an online food journal (no calorie counting)
- Participate in online (Zoom) dietary counseling sessions
- Answer questionnaires (online or in person)
- Share medical record information with the research team during the study
Your study participation will last for about 7 months.