Build Resilience, Battle Burnout: Stress Relief for Healthcare Workers - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
We are doing this study to use data-driven ways to find tools that may build resilience and lessen burnout in healthcare providers without the use of drugs. We will study two methods, called Experience Resolution Methodology (ERM) coaching and Transcendental Meditation (TM) and compare each to provide Treatment as Usual (TAU).
Resilience-building and burnout-mitigation in health care workers during a pandemic and global staffing shortages
Who Can Participate in the Study?
- Are healthcare providers (defined as anyone who works in a health care setting and interacts with patients)
- Are willing to address resilience and burnout by non-pharmacological means
- Are willing to wear a health/fitness device that we provide
- Are willing to download the study app on personal device
- Do not have prior instruction in Transcendental Meditation (TM)
For more information about who can join this study, please contact the study team at 919-479-0743 or 919-660-2337.
What is Involved?
If you choose to join this study, you will:
- Be randomly assigned (like drawing numbers out of a hat) to 1 of 4 groups
-- Transcendental Meditation (TM)
-- Effective Resolution Methods (ERM)
-- TM + ERM
-- Treatment as Usual (TAU)
You will :
- Fill out questionnaires
- Wear an Apple Watch or Empatica device to monitor and record certain health data (like steps, heart rate, or sleep quality)
- Have optional fMRIs and blood draws.
- Some groups will attend 8 initial meditation instruction or group coaching sessions with periodic follow-up sessions for up to two years.
To see if you are eligible for the study, please follow the appropriate link to access our free app:
- Duke University (Durham): https://app.pattern.health/web/invite?code=DODDUKE (Use code DODDUKE)
- Mindpath Health (Raleigh): https://app.pattern.health/web/invite?code=DODMIND (Use code DODMIND)