Hearing aids for hearing loss - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
We are doing this study to learn if wearing two hearing-aids is better than wearing one in people with hearing loss in both ears.
Phonak, Audéo, Paradise, or Marvel hearing aids will be used in this study.
Hearing, Hearing Aids
Who Can Participate in the Study?
- Adults, age 50 years and older
- Mild to moderate hearing loss in both ears
- Interested in buying hearing aids
- Willing to use one or two hearing aids
- Access to a smartphone and the internet
What is Involved?
If you choose to join this study, you will:
- Be in the study for about 7 months
- Have a hearing test and a hearing aid fitting.
- Be randomly assigned (like the flip of a coin) to one of two groups:
-- Group 1 will use one hearing aid
-- Group 2 will use two hearing aids in the study
You have an equal chance of being in either group.
Both groups will:
- Fill out several surveys at three time points.
- Answer questions on a smartphone several times per day at two time points.
Once you have bought the hearing aid(s) and worn them for 3 months, you will have the chance to:
-- Add a hearing aid (if you were in Group 1) or
-- Return the hearing aid(s) if you prefer (at 3 months and again at 6 months)
For more information, please visit this study's website: https://sites.duke.edu/hearingaidstudy/