Sildenafil and SIPE - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
Who Can Participate in the Study?
- Are aged 18 - 45 years old
- Have experienced immersion pulmonary edema (swimming-induced pulmonary edema, SIPE) symptoms before
What is Involved?
If you choose to join this study, you will:
- Exercise on a stationary bike
- Have a breathing test
- Have your blood pressure checked
- Have an ultrasound of your lungs and possibly your heart
- Have an Electrocardiogram (EKG)
- Have a blood sample taken
- If you have not already had one, you will have an echocardiogram while resting and while exercising
Later in this study, you will drink Pedialyte (like Gatorade) and you will get either sildenafil or an inactive tablet. Neither you nor the doctors will know which one you get until the study is over.
You will then perform exercise in cold (20°C) water with your head out for 40 minutes.
-- During the exercise, you will be watched for symptoms of SIPE and blood oxygen level by EKG and a blood pressure cuff
-- If you develop SIPE you will be removed from the water and if needed get treatment and possibly a chest x-ray
-- This exercise will be completed twice, at least one week apart