Caravaggio for Blood Clots - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
We are doing this study to learn if a drug called apixaban is helpful in treating blood clots in people with cancer.
Blood Thinner for Adults with Blood Clots and Cancer
Who Can Participate in the Study?
- Have been diagnosed with cancer within the last two years
- Have been diagnosed with a blood clot in your leg or lungs
- Have been taking a blood thinner for less than 72 hours
You cannot have a brain tumor or cancer that has spread to your brain to participate in the study.
What is Involved?
If you choose to join this study, you will:
- Be randomly assigned (like the flip of a coin) to take one of two blood thinners, either dalteparin or apixaban
--- Dalteparin is given by a shot once a day
--- Apixaban is a pill that is taken by mouth twice daily
- Return to the clinic for a physical exam, blood tests and vital sign at 4, 12 and 24 weeks after you start study treatment
The total time you will be in the study is 7 months.