Medication-related adverse events in critically ill children - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
We are doing this study is to learn how 2 medicines, Fentanyl and Dexmedetomidine, affect how sick children think and interact with their environments.
Pain medicine use for children in the intensive care unit
Who Can Participate in the Study?
- Are ages 2 to 17 years old.
- Are admitted to the hospital ICU (PICU or PCICU).
- Have a planned or have a mechanical ventilation for 2 or more days.
- Require sedation to maintain ventilation.
What is Involved?
If you decide that you would like for your child to be part of this study, your child will:
- Be involved in the study for 10 days
- Be randomly assigned (like the flip of a coin) to get either dexmedetomidine or fentanyl
- Be observed for signs of confusion twice a day
- Give up to 10 blood samples