DJ19- Clostridium Difficile Vaccine for Older Adults - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
Who Can Participate in the Study?
Adults over 50 who have with an increased risk of future contact with healthcare systems, for example:
- Have gotten antibiotics in the past 12 weeks
- Have made at least 10 outpatient medical visits in the past year
- Have been hospitalized for at least 2 nights in the past year
- Live in a nursing facility
- Have had 2 emergency room visits in the past year
What is Involved?
If you choose to join this study, you will:
- Be randomized (like the flip of a coin) to get:
-- 3 doses of a study vaccine for the germ Clostridium difficile
-- 3 doses of a placebo (an inactive substance)
- Return for 5 outpatient visits to the Duke Early Phase Clinical Research Unit over the course of 7 month with a follow-up period for up to 3.5 years
- Have your blood drawn 3 times over 7 months