APPRAISE ATP Study for Internal Cardiac Defibrillator Patients - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
Who Can Participate in the Study?
Patients over age 21 who will be receiving an implanted cardiac defibrillator (ICD) who:
- Are not on the active heart transplant list
- Do not currently have an implanted cardiac defibrillator device (ICD)
- Do not currently have a ventricular assist device (VAD) or are scheduled to receive a VAD
- Are not receiving dialysis
Please contact the study team for more information about participating in the study.
What is Involved?
If you choose to join the study, you will:
- Be scheduled to have an internal cardiac defibrillator implanted as part of our routine medical care
- Be randomized (like the flip of a coin) to one of two treatment groups:
-- Group 1: Your device will be set to deliver anti-tachycardia pacing (ATP) first and only deliver shock if needed
-- Group 2: Your device will deliver only shock treatments when needed (no ATP pacing)
The follow-up visits and information collected during the conduct of the study are routinely done by your doctor. Follow-up testing of your ICD will be done at the same intervals as if you were not in the study, about every 6 months until the study is over.