Self-activation of Reward-related Brain Regions in Cigarette Smokers - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
We are doing this study to learn more about how reward and motivation work in people who smoke.
Smoking (Nicotine Dependence)
Who Can Participate in the Study?
Adults ages 18-55 who:
- Are in good general health
- Smoke at least 5 traditional cigarettes per day (i.e., do not exclusively use e-cigarettes or vapes)
- Are not pregnant
- Are not claustrophobic
- Have no other contraindications to being in an MRI machine
For more information about who can be in this study, please contact the study team at email@example.com or 919-681-4601.
What is Involved?
If you choose to join this study, you will:
- Have a phone call with the study team to see if you are eligible
- Visit our clinic 2 or 3 times
- Fill out surveys
- Give a urine sample
- Have an MRI brain scan
Before your clinic visits, we will ask you to take or download pictures related to smoking and of things you enjoy (e.g., your pet, your favorite food, etc). This is a neurofeedback study, so you will be able to watch your own brain signals change while you are inside the MRI machine!
If you are interested, you can complete a pre-screening survey online: https://redcap.duke.edu/redcap/surveys/?s=YY8FFXDRTY