ASSET- Kidney Cancer - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
We are doing this study to look at how Sunitinib causes changes to your physical fitness and heart and vascular system.
We also want to know whether the way we prescribe Sunitinib can help the quality of life and physical fitness of our patients.
Kidney Cancer (Renal Cell Carcinoma)
Who Can Participate in the Study?
Adult patients with kidney cancer who:
- Plan to get Sunitinib (Sutent)
- Are able to walk on a treadmill and meet certain physical parameters
What is Involved?
If you choose the join this study, you will:
- Have a screening period where you will have a series of tests that will test to see how well your heart and vascular system are working and how physically fit you are
- Be randomized (like a flip of a coin) after the screening period to take standard of care, sunitinib, on one of two different schedules:
- 4 weeks of taking drug with 2 weeks off
- 2 weeks of taking drug with 1 week off
Your physician will work with you to find out how long you will take the drug
- Have exercise testing and other heart testing to look at how your body is reacting to the drug. We will also ask you about your quality of life and bad effects from the drug
- Be involved in the study for about 12 weeks