Neurostimulation and Psychotherapy for problems with emotions - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
Who Can Participate in the Study?
Adults age 18-65 who:
- Are NOT currently seeing a psychiatrist, psychologist, therapist, or other mental healthcare provider for psychotherapy services
- Have trouble managing their emotions.
- Are diagnosed or believe they should be diagnosed with a mental health disorder
- Have never done rTMS before
Please contact the study team for more information about who can be in the study.
What is Involved?
If you choose to join this study, you will:
- Have 3-5 in-person visits over 1-2 months (each visit takes 1 - 4 hours) and includes medical and psychiatric history, questionnaires and interviews
- Be randomized (like the flip of a coin) to be in one of five repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation treatment groups:
1) real left rTMS over the left side of your brain.
2) real right rTMS over the right side of your brain.
3) sham TMS: you will not receive active brain stimulation
4) real left rTMS with imaging: you will have extra brain imaging before and after the rTMS
5) sham rTMS with imaging: you will have extra brain imaging before and after sham rTMS
You will not know whether you had real or sham rTMS until the end of the study.
After the rTMS procedure visit, you will receive phone calls daily for one week then a series of online questionnaires.
1 month later you'll have a final interview and imaging visit