Exercise and Pharmacotherapy for Anxiety in Cardiac Patients - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
Who Can Participate in the Study?
Adults age 40 and older who:
- Have a history of heart disease (e.g., stent, heart attack, bypass graft, or angina)
- Have symptoms of worry, stress, tension, nervousness, panic, or anxiety
- Are not currently taking medication to enhance mood
- Are not currently in a formal exercise program
For more information about who can be in this study, please contact the study team.
What is Involved?
If you choose to join this study, you will:
- Have a screening visit that includes questionnaires, a physical, and an interview
- Have baseline pre-treatment procedures, like an exercise stress test, blood work, and an ultrasound of your blood vessels
- Be randomized (like flipping a coin) to one of three 12-week treatment groups:
--- Group 1: Exercise at a local cardiac rehab facility 3 days/week
--- Group 2: Medication pill (escitalopram (Lexapro)) taken daily plus 5 clinic visits
--- Group 3: Placebo pill (inactive like a sugar pill) taken daily plus 5 clinic visits
- Have post-treatment assessments, the same as you did during the screening visit
- Have one follow-up visit 6 months after the study, which involves questionnaires, an interview, and a walk test