mCM for Alcohol & Smoking - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
We are doing this study to learn more about ways to help people quit smoking and drinking alcohol. This study is looking specifically at the use of monetary rewards and a smartphone application, or app, to support attempts to stop smoking and drinking.
Cigarette smoking and high-risk alcohol drinking behavior
Who Can Participate in the Study?
Adults up to age 80 who:
- Currently smoke
- Currently engage in high risk drinking (14 or more drinks per week for men, 7 or more drinks per week for women or binge drinking).
- Are willing to try to quit smoking and drinking
- Don't have have another substance abuse disorder
- Have not had a heart attack in the past 6 months
For more information about who can be in this study, please contact the study team.
What is Involved?
If you choose to join this study you will:
- Have 8 study visits over about 6 months
- Be asked to try to quit smoking and try to quit drinking alcohol
- Receive 4 recorded phone sessions of counseling designed to help you quit smoking and drinking alcohol
- Be offered medication (Buproprion) or other nicotine replacement therapy to help you quit smoking
- Answer questionnaires about yourself
- Use a breath monitor on a mobile phone we will give you to measure how much you are smoking and drinking alcohol
- Use a mobile phone to make videos of yourself using the breath monitor and send them to the study team