Apixiban for Pediatric VTE - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
Who Can Participate in the Study?
To be in this study, your child must:
- Be a newborn to 17 years old.
- Have a confirmed VTE (blood clot) with imaging (CT scan, MRI, or ultrasound)
- Manage the VTE with blood thinner medicine for at least 12 weeks (at least 6 weeks for neonates)
- Not have a mechanical heart valve, active bleeding or considered high risk of bleeding
- Not be allergic to apixiban
What is Involved?
If you choose to have your child join this study, your child will:
- Be randomized (like drawing names from a hat) to one of two treatments:
-- Apixiban (the study drug)
-- Standard treatment with anticoagulants (blood thinners)
- Have blood tests
- Have imaging tests (for example, ultrasound, CT scans, MRIs) to confirm condition, around the middle of the treatment and at the end of treatment.
- Note: you will know which treatment your child is receiving