TRIUMPH Study for Hard-to-Control High Blood Pressure - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
Who Can Participate in the Study?
Adults age 35 and older who:
- Have high blood pressure and are currently taking 3 or more medicines to treat their blood pressure
- Have a BMI 25 or higher and not very physically active
- Are not currently on a special diet
- Are willing to participate in a diet and exercise program
- Not using insulin for diabetes
For more information about who can be in this study, please contact the study team.
What is Involved?
If you choose to join this study, you will:
- Have several screening visits to make sure it is safe for you to be in the study which include:
-- Blood pressure checks
-- Physical exam
-- An ultrasound of your heart (called an echocardiogram),
-- Blood and urine tests,
-- Treadmill exercise stress tests,
-- Measurements of your physical activity level and
-- Questionnaires about your diet, activity habits, memory, thinking and how you feel
- Be randomized (like the flip of a coin) to one of two groups:
-- A supervised diet, exercise and weight management program that includes 16 weekly visits with a dietician and weight loss specialist and supervised exercise sessions three times per week for 16 weeks.
-- A standardized education and physician advice plan in which you are encouraged to lose weight, eat per the DASH diet and exercise on your own for 16 weeks.
- Be in the study for about a year.