NSABP B-51/RTOG 1304 (Post-Mastectomy) - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
Who Can Participate in the Study?
Adult women ages 18 and older who:
- Have completed chemotherapy
- Have had a mastectomy or lumpectomy with all removed lymph nodes cancer
- Have no prior history of cancer or chest radiation therapy
- Are not pregnant or nursing
What is Involved?
If you choose to join this study, you will:
- Have a mammogram or MRI of both your breasts
- Have blood tests to check your blood counts
- Have a blood pregnancy test if you are a woman of childbearing potential
- Be randomized (put into one of two groups by chance like a flip of a coin) after your surgery to one of two groups
-- Group 1: Patients who have had a lumpectomy will receive radiation therapy to the breast.
Patients who have had a mastectomy will not receive radiation therapy
-- Group 2: if you had a lumpectomy, you will receive radiation therapy to your breast and lymph nodes. If you had a mastectomy, you will receive radiation to the area where your breast used to be and to the lymph nodes.
- Continue having mammograms every year until 10 years after you joined the research study
- Be in the study for up to 10 years
- Have a physical exam every 6 months for the first couple of years