Alliance A011202 (Breast Cancer) - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
If you choose to join this study, you will:
- Have an examination of your lymph nodes during surgery
-- If your lymph nodes have cancer in them, you will be randomized (put into one of two groups by chance like the flip of a coin) and get either:
--- Group 1: More lymph nodes are removed during surgery and you will have radiation therapy
--- Group 2: Radiation therapy
- Have a physical exam every 6 months for the first 2 years, then every year for 3-5 years after your radiation therapy is complete
Who Can Participate in the Study?
Adults with breast cancer who:
- Have spread to the lymph nodes
- Had an axillary ultrasound and biopsy
- Are not pregnant or nursing
What is Involved?
We are doing this study to see if removing some lymph nodes (but not all) from the arm pit, followed with radiation therapy will be as good as the standard treatment of having most of the lymph nodes removed from the arm pit during breast surgery followed with radiation therapy.