6 Reasons to Schedule Your Annual Physical
The annual wellness visit, as it is now called, plays a vital role in keeping you healthy.
Why You Need an Annual Physical
At your annual physical, your doctor will:
- Update your vaccines. Depending on your age, you may need a new vaccine or a booster shot of another.
- Ensure you meet screening guidelines. Do you need a colonoscopy or bone density screening this year? Your physician will let you know and can coordinate the tests.
- Update your electronic medical record. The wellness exam lets your doctor input changes, such as a recent surgery.
- Discuss new prevention and treatment recommendations. Treatments and guidelines for screenings change over time. The well visit brings your care up-to-date.
- Provide guidance on reducing your risk for disease. Your doctor can provide information -- and motivation -- to stop smoking, lose unhealthy pounds or manage risk factors like high blood pressure.
- Manage your medications. Your doctor will want to make sure your prescriptions, over-the-counter drugs and supplements don’t interact with each other. Your doctor can also help you manage side effects.
Learn More About Primary Care at DukeDuke Primary Care