Clinical Director, Duke Eye Center of Cary
Department / Division
Ophthalmology / Glaucoma Ophthalmology
2000 Regency Parkway, Suite 100
Cary, NC 27518
Glaucoma (including laser and conventional surgery), cataract surgery, glaucoma implant surgery, research interests include new imaging techniques for glaucoma diagnosis and new surgical approaches to treating glaucoma
· Development of new imaging technology for the early diagnosis of glaucoma using SD OCT to image retinal ganglion cells and trabecular meshwork and Schlemm's canal.
· Detection and importance of fluctuations of intraocular pressure and ways to decrease such fluctuation.
· Development of intraocular pressure sensor for telemetric eye pressure measurement
· Research into the causes and prevention of glaucoma in children particularly in pediatric aphakia and pseudophakia.
1. Development and testing of a new glaucoma drainage device
2. Schlemm's canal and trabecular meshwork imaging in narrow angle glaucoma
3. IOP fluctuations in different types of glaucoma and the effects of laser
4. Retinal thickness measurements in glaucoma suspect children
5. Retinal thickness mapping for diagnosis of glaucoma, ocular hypertension and glaucoma suspects.
This faculty member (or a member of their immediate family) has a working relationship (i.e. consulting, research, and/or educational services) with the companies listed below. These relations have been reported to the health system leadership and, when appropriate, management plans are in place to address potential conflicts.
Ghasia, FF; El-Dairi, M; Freedman, SF; Rajani, A; Asrani, S. Reproducibility of Spectral-Domain Optical Coherence Tomography Measurements in Adult and Pediatric Glaucoma. Journal of Glaucoma. 2013; (2013) Abstract
Kim, J; Allingham, RR; Hall, J; Klitzman, B; Stinnett, S; Asrani, S. Clinical Experience With a Novel Glaucoma Drainage Implant. Journal of Glaucoma. 2013; (2013) Abstract
Asrani, S; Chatterjee, A; Wallace, DK; Santiago-Turla, C; Stinnett, S. Evaluation of the ICare rebound tonometer as a home intraocular pressure monitoring device. Journal of Glaucoma. 2011;20:74-79. (2011) Abstract
Asrani, S; Rosdahl, JA; Allingham, RR. Novel software strategy for glaucoma diagnosis: asymmetry analysis of retinal thickness. Archives of Ophthalmology. 2011;129:1205-1211. (2011) Abstract
Asrani, S; Samuels, B; Thakur, M; Santiago, C; Kuchibhatla, M. Clinical profiles of primary open angle glaucoma versus normal tension glaucoma patients: a pilot study. Current Eye Research. 2011;36:429-435. (2011) Abstract
El Mallah, MK; Walsh, MM; Stinnett, SS; Asrani, SG. Selective laser trabeculoplasty reduces mean IOP and IOP variation in normal tension glaucoma patients. Clinical Ophthalmology. 2010;4:889-893. (2010) Abstract
El-Dairi, MA; Asrani, SG; Enyedi, LB; Freedman, SF. Optical coherence tomography in the eyes of normal children. Archives of Ophthalmology. 2009;127:50-58. (2009) Abstract
Asrani, S; Sarunic, M; Santiago, C; Izatt, J. Detailed visualization of the anterior segment using fourier-domain optical coherence tomography. Archives of Ophthalmology. 2008;126:765-771. (2008)
ElMallah, MK; Asrani, SG. New ways to measure intraocular pressure. Current Opinion in Ophthalmology. 2008;19:122-126. (2008) Abstract
Asrani, S; Freedman, S; Hasselblad, V; Buckley, EG; Egbert, J; Dahan, E; Gimbel, H; Johnson, D; McClatchey, S; Parks, M; Plager, D; Maselli, E. Does primary intraocular lens implantation prevent "aphakic" glaucoma in children?. Journal of American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus. 2000;4:33-39. (2000) Abstract
Asrani, S; Zeimer, R; Wilensky, J; Gieser, D; Vitale, S; Lindenmuth, K. Large diurnal fluctuations in intraocular pressure are an independent risk factor in patients with glaucoma. 2000;9:134-142. (2000)