Vice Chief, Division of Surgical ServicesDepartments / Divisions
Durham, NC 27710
Thoracic oncology; general thoracic surgery; benign and malignant disease of the lung, esophagus, and mediastinum; advanced airway and thoracoscopic surgery; hyperhidrosis palmaris; mesothelioma
A. Non-small cell lung cancer
1. Evaluation of serum and tissue molecular biologic markers of recurrence in patients with a localize non-small cell lung cancer.
2. Molecular biologic staging of lymph nodes in patients with non-small cell lung cancer.
3. The evaluation of the clonality of metastatic tumors in patients with non-small cell lung cancer.
B. Clinical research activities
1. Creation of a prospective database for the Duke Thoracic Oncology Program.
2. A cost and satisfaction evaluation of thoracoscopy and open thoracotomy in patients.
3. Development of risk associated models of morbidity in patients undergoing general thoracic surgery procedures: The VA Cooperative Surgical Risk Study
4. A member of the Duke Gastrointestinal Malignancy Research Committee, developing esophageal cancer treatment protocols and outcome studies.
This faculty member (or a member of their immediate family) has a working relationship (i.e. consulting, research, and/or educational services) with the companies listed below. These relations have been reported to the health system leadership and, when appropriate, management plans are in place to address potential conflicts.
Bailey, SH; Bull, DA; Harpole, DH; Rentz, JJ; Neumayer, LA; Pappas, TN; Daley, J; Henderson, WG; Krasnicka, B; Khuri, SF. Outcomes after esophagectomy: a ten-year prospective cohort. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2003;75:217-222. (2003) Abstract
Joshi, MB; D'Amico, TA; Harpole, DH. Molecular biologic substaging of stage I NSCLC through immunohistochemistry performed on formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue. Methods in Molecular Medicine. 2003;75:369-388. (2003) Abstract
Kinch, MS; Moore, MB; Harpole, DH. Predictive value of the EphA2 receptor tyrosine kinase in lung cancer recurrence and survival. Clinical Cancer Research. 2003;9:613-618. (2003) Abstract
D'Amico, TA; Wong, TZ; Harpole, DH; Brown, SD; Coleman, RE. Impact of computed tomography-positron emission tomography fusion in staging patients with thoracic malignancies. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2002;74:160-163. (2002) Abstract
Lau, CL; Moore, MB; Brooks, KR; D'Amico, TA; Harpole, DH. Molecular staging of lung and esophageal cancer. Surgical Clinics of North America. 2002;82:497-523. (2002) Abstract
Toloza, EM; Harpole, DH. Intraoperative techniques to prevent air leaks. Chest Surgery Clinics of North America. 2002;12:489-505. (2002) Abstract
Aloia, TA; Harpole, DH; Reed, CE; Allegra, C; Moore, MB; Herndon, JE; D'Amico, TA. Tumor marker expression is predictive of survival in patients with esophageal cancer. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2001;72:859-866. (2001) Abstract
D'Amico, TA; Aloia, TA; Moore, MB; Conlon, DH; Herndon, JE; Kinch, MS; Harpole, DH. Predicting the sites of metastases from lung cancer using molecular biologic markers. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2001;72:1144-1148. (2001) Abstract
Harpole, DH; Moore, MB; Herndon, JE; Aloia, T; D'Amico, TA; Sporn, T; Parr, A; Linoila, I; Allegra, C. The prognostic value of molecular marker analysis in patients treated with trimodality therapy for esophageal cancer. Clinical Cancer Research. 2001;7:562-569. (2001) Abstract
Kelley, MJ; Li, S; Harpole, DH. Genetic analysis of the beta-tubulin gene, TUBB, in non-small-cell lung cancer. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2001;93:1886-1888. (2001) Abstract
Marom, EM; Aloia, TA; Moore, MB; Hara, M; Herndon, JE; Harpole, DH; Goodman, PC; Patz, EF. Correlation of FDG-PET imaging with Glut-1 and Glut-3 expression in early-stage non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 2001;33:99-107. (2001) Abstract