The purpose of this study is to examine the effects of dietary interventions on prostate cancer treatment.
Potential benefits for study participants randomized to the intervention group include improved lifestyle, lower weight, and a longer prostate-specific antigen doubling time (may be associated with a delayed prostate cancer growth).
Laboratory tests are performed at no cost, and there may be the small possibility for early diagnosis of an illness. No personal health benefit from the study can be guaranteed.
You may qualify to participate if:
• You have completed prostate cancer treatment and are experiencing prostate-specific antigen (PSA) recurrence, but you are unlikely to undergo further therapy in the next six months.
• You are willing to eat a low-carbohydrate diet for six months
• You are overweight with a BMI of 25 or over*
*To calculate your BMI visit:
If you’re eligible:
You will be randomly assigned (like a flip of a coin) to one of two intervention conditions…
**Carbohydrate restricted dietary intervention group: If you are assigned to the carbohydrate-restricted dietary intervention group, you will be asked to
• Restrict your daily carbohydrate intake to less than 20 grams per day.
• Meet with a nutritionist at the initial visit for an hour to orient you to the diet plan.
• Receive weekly 15-30 minute phone calls from a dietitian for the first three months and then bi-weekly for the last three months.
**Usual care control group: If you are assigned to the usual care control group, you will be asked to make no changes in your dietary habits. There will be no on-going intervention contact and no behavioral intervention.
• After the six-month visit, the nutritionist will provide you with the most updated dietary advice from the American Cancer Society.
You will be asked to come to the center for the three- and six-month data collection visits; we will obtain your anthropometric measurements, blood pressure, and collect a fasting blood sample. You will also be asked to complete the test for measuring resting metabolic rate at baseline and six months.
We will reimburse you for time and travel to each of the three clinic visits.
For more information, contact Jennifer Stout at (919) 613-3786.